Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! Here you'll find monologues for high school and college students, written by a theatre major. I, too, had trouble finding strong monologues for kids my age, and after reading many fruitless books with "youth" monologues, I decided to write my own.
Feel free to browse, and let me know if you find something helpful or not. Also, if you have need for a particular kind of monologue, let me know, and I might be able to whip something up special for you. :)
Usage rights are free, but all material is copyrighted, so make sure to ask before republishing--and don't pass the work off as your own.
Enjoy!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Straight Guys Can Dance - Comedic/Dramatic - Male - Ages 16 to 20 - 1 minute

It always came naturally to me. The music. The lines. The way bodies flow together like waves. Some boys are natural athletes. I'm just a natural dancer. Of course, there's a level of mocking that comes with the territory. But, well, the manicures would've done it anyway. Besides, it's not malicious...okay. It's probably malicious.
Oh, but--I'm not--I mean, that's fine, but I'm not--I like girls.
No, I'm not in denial. It's just--have you ever tried being the one straight guy in a sea of...well, not straight guys? You'd think I'd get dates. You'd think I'd get lots of dates. But the girls just look at me and laugh. "I won't be your queer beard, Sam." "Well I don't need you to be my beard, Allie!"
It's not that they don't like me. They just won't believe me. Because straight guys can't dance. But they can. They can! My name is Sam Townes and I am a straight ballerina!

No comments:

Post a Comment